Saturday, March 7, 2009

Murdermorphosis

Recently, I had a novel published. It was suggested that I start a blog (marketing and promotional purposes), but...

I'm not really a marketing and promotions type of guy... or a blogger... or an online social "networker". I prefer my personal interactions live. I like to add friends through actual meetings, interactions, common interests, and not by a click of a mouse. I'd rather talk to living, breathing humans and not have to peruse profile pages online. Although, I do enjoy participating in various Forums (depends on the subject matter) and correspondence through emails.

In the past, I jumped onto the internet social networking band wagon. When Friendster came out, I set up an account and maintained a profile page. I eventually switched to MySpace because it became the new "thing". When FaceBook, Twitter, or a number of the latest social networking sites eventually came out... I lost any desire to remain on the wagon...

Interesting how an inhuman environment, cyberspace, can become so inundated with human flaws. It's almost fashionable to display yourself as an idiot... Maybe "moronic" has erroneously been linked to "unique". I understand the need for keeping in touch with friends and family (in different parts of the world), but an e-mail account would serve that purpose. It's better, in my opinion. Privacy is better assured through emails, you don't have to maintain a profile page, and there are no pesky, thinly veiled, invitations or requests. Only occasional pieces of SPAM (mostly penis enlargement offers or an unbelieveable proposal from someone who needs help to claim a multi-million dollar inheritance) needs to be dealt with. You can share just as many photos, multimedia files, documents, or whatever, through emails. Also, it's so easy to set up a "pet" account for one of these social networking sites. Do you really think that a person on MySpace, or FaceBook, or Twitter etc., only has one account? Part of the allure to these sites is that anyone can set up an account, or accounts, and recreate themselves. It's almost expected that you create multiple accounts, display multiple avatars/personalities/levels of schizophrenia... You don't really know who you're dealing with unless you have actually "eye balled" a person.

Anyway, back to the marketing and promotion...

I struggled with whether or not to include a full bio, of myself, on this blog. I'm not going to. I'll leave clues though. Hopefully this blog will be like a mystery novel (keeping with the literary theme). If you figure out who I am... kudos. You'll be able to figure out my name fairly easily (I think it's somewhat necessary, when you want people to check out, and possibly buy a book that you have written, to introduce yourself.).

I have also struggled with the subject matter of this blog. Should I just focus on writing and publishing, or more personal matters and interests, or just a general free-for-all? Well... I decided just to occasionally add entries to this blog and deal with things as they come. Whenever I need to express myself by typing words, whenever I need to "masturbate" in a literary fashion, I'll come here, or rather, I'll "cum" here...

I am sleepy, at the moment. I'll market and promote my book more fully on the next entry. Title, synopsis, book cover, links, additional information, all that stuff. Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment